Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Top 10 Reason the Titus 2:1 Conference Changed My Life



You know the feeling. You come home from a conference all aglow – energized and enthusiastic with all you've learned and the friends you made. As the weeks and days wear on, 'real life' gradually snuffs out the glow leaving you to wonder what happened to all that enthusiasm. It was a good thing while it lasted. It just didn't last forever. Sigh.

In April of this year, I opted into Titus 2:1 not knowing what to expect. I'd been to a writers conference but had never even heard of a bloggers conference. At the last minute, I jumped on board. Seven months later, I shudder to think how close I came to missing this life altering opportunity.

Not only am I still awash in the glow of the experience, I've already signed up for next year's event. Wanna know why you should join me? I can think of about ten good reasons!

1) T-eaching: The faculty consisted of homeschoolers who blog. Conferees were free to pick and choose sessions about homeschooling and/or blogging. Session content was both practical and actionable.

2) I-nspiration: Experts in both ventures including Rachel Carmen, Christine Young, Kendra Fletcher, and Heidi St. John spoke to the issues that concern each of us as homeschooling moms.

Courtesy and in Loving Memory of Christina Jones Hooker
3) T-actics: Both homeschool moms and homeschool moms who blog look for and appreciate strategies to improve productivity and efficiency. 2:1 faculty spoke to these needs in encouraging and inspirational ways.

4) U-nderstanding: I found my peeps, and they get me. In the months since the conference, relationship building has been ongoing. I have continued to make new friends through the alumni group and cement friendships begun during the conference. I am 'at home' as a blogger and as a homeschooler in the company of this community.

5) S-upport: The 2:1 community offers ongoing support after the conference is over. Got a homeschooling concern, express it. Got a blogging question, ask it. In seven months, I have been amazed at how quickly this community responds to each other in helpful and instructive ways.
Courtesy A. Hughes

6) T-echnical expertise: Again, whether the questions and concerns have been about blogging or homeschooling, this community has been a wealth of consistent support and information. If anything, the community has grown more vibrant as the months have passed.
8) O-ptimism: You know me. I'm a fraidy cat. This community has challenged me to try new blogging ventures like (gasp) photo-editing and HTML. When I despair, they keep coaxing me along, even via phone tutoring sessions, until I have 'eureka' moments. They refuse to give up on me even when I have given up.

9) O-ften: I am in touch with the friends I made at 2:1 every day. We text. We inbox. We call. We have become IRL friends. During a recent personal crisis, they became part of the fabric of my life, my backbone. When I was able to see some of them at the October Allume Social Media conference, it felt like a family reunion.
Courtesy B. Creasy - 2010

10) N-oble: The goals of this community are trustworthy. Each of us wants to see the other succeed in our homeschooling and blogging efforts. We want to help equip each other and spur each other on to love and good deeds.

And now for the bonus you've been waiting for!

11) E-veryone who homeschools, especially those who blog, should take advantage of the 2:1 opportunity. I can promise you, you will come home knowing your life has been changed. 

(Today, I am happy to be part Top 10 Tuesday hosted by Many Little Blessings!)

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. SshHHH! Silly girl, do you really wanna tell the whole world that I, of ALL people, totally get you! They might expect us to break out in Jimmy Buffet tunes or something. Love you tons. And big Daddy Fletch ain't so bad either!

      Delete
  2. Girl, you know I love you! I'm so glad we could bless you because you have been such a blessing to us. Your sweet spirit and "I'm gonna try" attitude has been such an inspiration! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but I shudder to think how patient you had to be with me in the run up to the conference. You must have been ready to tear your hair out. Maybe that can be my job next year: aide de camp in charge of newbie fraidy cat dilemmas? Well, that'll be my 2nd job. My first will be prayer warrior on call. :-)

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of this organization, but I've never attended a conference of any sort, either. You do make it sound like a valuable experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was the inaugural conference. Pass the word to any homeschooler you know who blogs. I am so thankful for the sense of community I felt and continue to feel. It has been life changing for me in so many ways.

      Delete
  4. this is a great list :) So glad that you were encouraged last year!! It will be fun to fellowship together again this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aurie, the anticipation feels like waiting for a family reunion. Can't wait for it to get here and will be so sad when it is over!

      Delete
  5. Love it! I was talking to my husband just before about attending net yr's conference. I really hope we can go so that I can meet you, Ashley and everyone who's been along with us in the 31DBB Challenge on FB! =D Jasmine (LearningWithMom.org)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine, I sure hope you are able to make it. These gals are patient teachers. I should know...if I haven't exhausted them, no one can!

      Delete
  6. I wondered where you were headed when you were posting about planes and fear and, well, planes and fear. I can sure relate. : ) So happy you got to attend and that it was such a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I went to 2:1 last spring. This post was an effort to encourage homeschool bloggers to register for the 2013 conference! The October conference I just went to was Allume Social Media Conference. I was enormously blessed to see some of my 2:1 buddies there and strengthen relationships we began last spring!

      Delete